As a child there was Lauren, Araceli, and Alexa. And now, as an adult, there is Jill (not her actual name). Just two months into being a mom of a school aged child and I've already met my first mean girl mom? Holy smokes!
I feel like I'm a fairly likable person. I mean, my name does mean "lovable" and I was voted "Best Personality" in High School. I'm not perfect by any means, but I'm generally kind, considerate, and funny. Jill though, she doesn't want any of it.
Earlier this year, a girls only club was formed at school. A club of cookies, songs, wilderness, and patches. A club encouraging girls to be fair, honest, friendly, and respectful. I was SO excited for Kenley to join this club. Unfortunately, Jill is the leader of this club. And Jill doesn't get along with my friend Erica (not her actual name), and because I am friends with (and agree with most of what she thinks/feels) Erica, by association, I am dead to Jill. I know, drama.
When the club was formed, I heard through the grapevine that everyone was invited to the first meeting but us. So I approached Jill, hoped that maybe it was an oversight, asked for the time, date, location, and was told, "Sorry, I don't think we would get along. It's probably best that you don't join us."
I WAS FLOORED. A 30-something year old woman, just told another 30-something year old woman, "You can't play with us." Sorry for the language but, what the actual fuck? There are still mean girls in the world? Mean girl moms!
Moms, what is happening?! Why are we so mean to each other? Aren't we all just trying our best to raise decent human beings? Humans we'd want to interact with in the real world? And doesn't that first step start with us? Perhaps, just a thought, if we were more fair, honest, friendly, and respectful towards eachother, our kids would follow suit? Hey, I'm not perfect. I've had my mean moments. I'm not the best version of myself all the time in front of my kids. But hey, if you're kind, and you want to sew some pillowcases, drink cheap Trader Joe's wine, and watch Troop Beverly Hills (gawd I love that movie) with me, let's do it!
Jill, you're invited too. Just don't bring the mean okay? Shelley Long wouldn't want it.
| First Day of School. Already kind, already got a vest, maybe next year we'll join the club. |