Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2017 is SO Last Year, Also, Resolutions!

Happy New Year!

It's the that time of year again when the moms vow to finally lose that baby weight (I've been working on this for 6 years), vow to cut our kid's screen time (but how will I do dishes or laundry without Evie and Mal?), and vow to yell less (despite our kids literally pulling chunks of hair out of eachother's heads). It's that time of year when we make our New Year's resolutions!

Do you make resolutions? Do you write them down? Do you publicly share them on social media like me? Do you think they are silly and pointless? Personally, I love 'em! A fresh start, a new year! Whether I make it 365 days or just 5 days, at least I gave it a go! And hey, I can always start over. 365 days means 365 fresh starts, right?

In no particular order, my 2018 New Year's Resolutions:

1. Blog - This past fall, I had a hard time getting blogs posted. I was basically tired all the freaking time because Kenley's new schedule was more exhausting than I thought. But hey, I have a keurig, a coffee pot, and a Starbucks next door! I'm gonna drink all the caffeine and get back at it! I like it and it's an outlet so I'm gonna make time for it. One blog a week plus THREE published articles. Did you see my Scary Mommy article that was published last year?! It was pretty exciting. 

2. Social Media Shutdown Sundays - I spend more time on social media than I'd like to admit. And not just when my kids are sleeping or occupied. It's not fair to my kids or my husband that I'm watching SPIL rant about Prius' on Snapchat, or taking some pointless quiz to find out which Stranger Things character I am. So in addition to less social media in general, I'm completely shutting it down on Sundays. ALL social media accounts. Family day, Jesus day, rest day! 

3. Let's Get Physical - For the first 6 months of 2017, I was pretty excellent when it came to eating semi healthy and working out. Let's be honest, I did it so I could fit into a bridesmaid dress for my friend's wedding. But then, the wedding was over, summer was over, and I ate all the things! But this year y'all, I'm doing it for me. I'm gonna eat the good stuff and move my body at least 3-4 times a week. I mean, The Bachelor is usually 2 hours long. That is 2 hours where I can at least stretch or do a few push-ups!

4. Eat the Fruits and Vegetables - Moms, I don't know about you, but I am so concerned with my kids eating enough fruits and vegetables that I'm not eating them myself. I focus on having a full fridge of apples, peppers, carrots, etc. that I don't eat them, fearing that I won't have any for lunches or snacks for the kids. But that's not fair to me, or my body. So sorry kids, you may have to eat a few extra goldfish if I eat the last banana. I doubt they will fight me if that happens.

5. Perfect the "Mom Look" - My kids are monsters. Adorable monsters, but still monsters. People scoff when I say that though because they usually behave abnormally well in public. Instead, they save it for me at home. And holy smokes you guys, so much naughty! So much talking back! So much slamming of doors and kicking faces! So basically, I yell. My voice goes up, up, up and I'm not proud of it. But the days when I whip out that "mom look", instant angels. Especially Kenley, who absolutely hates that look.

And that's it! The short list. There are at least 50 more things I could add, but let's not get crazy. I'm just hoping I fit in 3 push-ups and eat a carrot today.


Some photos from our New Year's Eve

Beginning of the night. You know, in case we only make it 'til 8pm.

Boston Market NYE traditions. I know, we fancy.

I can't. Also, I hope they always spend New Year's Eve together.

Balloon countdown! Each hour they popped one to reveal a fun surprise treat!

Games - Don't Wake Daddy, their MOST often played with Christmas gift.

Lego sets - this chunked out a good 2 hours.

Movie - Boss Baby! This movie was shockingly LOL funny.

Face Masks - Going into the New Year so fresh! Also, I look ridiculous, I know.

Pop that thang E!

Fancy paper hat crafts.

New Years Bingo aka Cheerios snack time for E.

Woke Daddy from his long winter nap because...almost midnight!

Delirium sets in.

Happy New Year! Love, Us - The Simpsons