For those close to me and my family, it is NO secret that we have two pretty terrible sleepers. Eleanor especially has showed me what a "bad" sleeper is and that I can halfway function on zero hours of sleep.
A while back when Eleanor was just a month or two old, a couple of friends and I started a group message to entertain eachother throughout the night while our littles were awake. Their kids quickly learned to sleep through the night but here I am with a 20 month old who still hasn't figured it out. She thinks that 3am-6am is a wonderful time to be awake! (this does not include the other 2-3 times she wakes up to nurse). No matter how hard I try to get her back to sleep, she is happy and rested and ready to party! Then she goes back to sleep right before her big sister wakes up. I often hear "You poor thing! You must be SO tired." And yes, it's exhausting, but rather than focus all my energy (what little energy I have) on why being up all night is the worst, I am choosing to embrace it! I mean "this too shall pass" right? And "I will miss this when she is older"?
4 Reasons Why Having a Terrible Sleeper is the Best:
1. On-on-One Time - Kenley got a lot of one-on-one time in her first few years of life but Eleanor has always had to share me. So in the wee hours of the night/morning, it's just me and E! We do puzzles, we color, we read books, and we get into all of her big sister's toys.
2. TV Catch Up - Sometimes while Eleanor is entertaining herself, I attempt to slowly catch up on the 124 things recorded on our DVR. I keep up the Kardashians at 3am, watch Abbey Lee Miller tell everyone they are replaceable at 4am, and gush over Ben Higgins at 5am (team Jojo forever!).
3. Sneak Treats - Attempting to open a Reeces wrapper or sneak a Thin Mint cookie during the day while your two kids are at your heels is impossible. But at 4am, I have only kid to hide it from! I don't have to share and my love handles love it!
4. Future Torture - You can bet that when my kids are teenagers and attempting to sleep in until noon, I will be busting into their room singing "Good Morning, good morning, good morning, it's time to rise and shine! Good morning, good morning, good morning, I hope you're feeling fine..." Thank you mom for torturing me with this song so I can in turn, torture your grandchildren with it.
Having a terrible sleeper is kind of the best right? Wanna switch kids for a night so you can experience it too? I'll save you a box of Girl Scout cookies! No really, please save me. I need some sleep!
A few photos of my kids actually sleeping
*Side Note: This post is not about who's kid sleeps the worst or who is the most tired. I know that we (parents and non parents) are ALL exhausted.




