Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Simpson's Fall Bucket List 2016 and Apple Picking



Happy almost fall! Have you had your pumpkin spice everything yet? I am holding out until the official first day of fall because, tradition. Also, it's still over 100 degrees in LA (why LA?!) and I'm hoping it will be cool in a couple of days. Here's to wishful thinking!

Every season, of every year, I create a bucket list and I thought I'd share mine with y'all this year. Some of these are LA exclusive and may be tricky (money/time/small children) but here's the goal! What's on your list? What am I missing?

The Simpson's Fall Bucket List 2016:

1. Apple Picking - We already took care of this one! See more below.

2. Los Angeles Zoo - I know, it doesn't seem very "fall-y". But the zoo is miserable when it's hot and full of bees in the summer.

3. Petting Zoo - Kenley and farm animals...she's obsessed. She still wants to hold a baby cow someday.

4. Underwood Family Farms - A twice a year tradition for our family! And also for the Kardashians so clearly in good company.

5. Mr. Bones Pumpkin Patch - Remember when we showed up in Jessica Alba's paparazzi shots a few years back? 

6. Boney Island - A gentleman and his family decorate, animate, and create the most amazing Halloween display and show in their yard. It's crazy good and national news each year.

7. Peanuts - The Great Pumpkin Patch Express - My kids are still Peanuts obsessed (Eleanor calls Charlie Brown "daddy") so this is an obvious choice.

8. Carve Pumpkins - Kenley may even be able to carve this year! Aaah!

9. Trick-or-Treating - An obvious one because I have children. Also, I need their candy.

10. Natural History Museum Spider Pavilion - Kenley is just starting to get over her fear of bugs, maybe I don't torture her yet?

11. Bake an apple pie - Likely, I will Snapchat this adventure so be sure to follow me over there (totesmandy).

12. Make homemade applesauce - I feel like my kids will be really into this. Especially since they think apples/applesauce/apple chips/apple juice/etc. is a food group.

13. Crafts with leaves - Anyone know where to find leaves in this town?

14. Pumpkin Spice Latte - I know, I'm so basic.

15. Make popcorn from a cob - Anyone have a tutorial for this? I know it can be done.

16. Leonis Museum Pumpkin Party - We had so much fun at their Little Ranchers event over the summer, thought we'd give this one a whirl.

17. Make pumpkin bread - Not to toot my own horn but...TOOT! I'm really good at baking one thing, pumpkin bread. 


Checking Off Number One - Apple Picking!


We knocked off the first thing on our bucket list before Fall official started (I know, tacky) when we headed out to Oak Glen, CA last weekend. It's become one of my most favorite fall traditions and is becoming increasingly more fun as the kids get older. Kenley was able to climb a bit and pick her own this year! 

Overalls, check! Hats, check! Chucks, check!

First stop for cider slushees and apple donuts!

My cutes sharing a slushee. Next year we'll buy a few of these.

Attempted girls photo.

Apple Donuts! Been craving these for 10 years - missing Apple Hills'.

Donut monster.

Donut face with daddy.

Off to Riley's Orchard! And an attempt at a sister photo.

Got caught in a dust storm!

Running for the dirt - 'cause city kid.
Two of a kind.

Let's find these apples.

The crop was so great when we went that we really could have picked all off of one tree.

K searching for the most delicious.

This girl was an excellent pick and twister.

This may not be the hubsters MOST favorite fall activity but he's a good sport. True love.

Apples picked, time for exploring.

Pose Perfection.

We bring applesauce to the apple orchard. I know, we're the worst.

K and cows. 

See you next year Oak Glen!