Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Simpson's Christmas Bucket List 2016 and L.A. Zoo Lights



Merry (almost) Christmas! Oh my gosh you guys, it's my most favorite time of the year and boy oh boy do I have a lot to do! I've had my first peppermint mocha, my first eggnog and rum, the apartment is decorated, and I am ready to start on this year's Christmas Bucket List! I've had a few friends ask me what Christmasy things in LA I plan on doing this year so I thought I'd share the list with them AND y'all!

Due to time/money/kids/etc. it likely won't be possible to do ALL the things. There are a few things I purposely left off of my list like Descanso Gardens' Enchanted Forest (too expensive), Mission Inn's Festival of Lights (too far), Christmas Tree Lighting at the Grove or Americana (too chaotic with small kids) but I think what I do have, is totally possible! 


The Simpson's Christmas Bucket List 2016:

1. L.A. Zoo Lights - We already took care of this one! See more below.

2. Griffith Park's Holiday Light Festival Train - The Griffith Park and Southern Railroad decorate one of their tracks with magical lights and holiday scenes each year. We went last year and I said we probably wouldn't do it again (traffic was the worst) but Kenley has been asking so...I will likely cave.

3. Pictures with Santa - I have a four and two year old so...obviously. Anyone want to make a bet on which kid screams this year?

4. Studio City's Winter Family Festival - Who says I need to drive 8 hours to Lake Tahoe or 2 hours to Big Bear to see snow? Beeman Park in Studio City dumps oodles of snow for LA kids to play in! Of course it turns to ice and my kids are freezing 'cause they have no snow clothes but...still so fun.

5. Make A Gingerbread House - Eleanor will likely just eat all the candy decorations.

6. Bake Christmas Cookies for Santa - Does anyone know if Trader Joe's has their Sugar Cookie Mix this year? They didn't last year and I was the saddest. It's SO good! 

7. Hot Cocoa Dates with Kenley - Since having two kids it's been hard to have special one-on-one time with my firstborn. I think it's super important so I'm going to make sure it happens this month.

8. Make Homemade Christmas Ornaments - I used to think they were the most tacky but now I think they are the most cute. Kids will do that to you.

9. Grinchmas at Universal Studios - John may not be working at Universal anymore but that's not gonna stop us from joining the the Wholibration! Plus, any excuse to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

10. Kindness Elves - Probably my most favorite tradition, two little elves from the North Pole join us for the month of December encouraging acts of kindness (ie: helping mommy clean, sharing with friends, thanking our mail lady, etc.)! It's an alternative to the Elf on the Shelf which just isn't for us. No mischievous tattle tales here. But to each their own!

11. Burbank Nativity Festival - One of the LDS churches here has a massive display of Nativity scenes from around the world plus a Live Nativity and crafts/games for kids.

12. Ice Skating at The Village - Probably someone will break their leg but in my head it seems amazing and magical.

13. Christmas Tree Lane or Candy Cane Lane - Both are a little far and it takes like two hours just to get off of the freeway but every year they look so beautiful. 

14. Malibu Sand Sledding - Sledding at the beach barefoot and in tanktops? Heck ya! But where to find sleds in Los Angeles? 

15. Discovery Cube's Winter Wonderfest - We are huge fans (and members) of Discovery Cube and apparently every year they build a winter wonderland with tubing and sledding and shows, oh my!

16. Magic Mountain's Holiday in the Park - We went last year and I was super sad that no Christmas lights were on. John pointed out that it was 11am so obviously, not on. Plan to go after dark this year!

17. The Magical Christmas Caroling Truck - In our neighborhood, a magical 62 foot Christmas truck, filled with 200 singers and dancers serenades the residents. We have pretty much been wanting to see it for a decade so maybe this year. Santa is going to be up way late anyways to fill stockings.

Checking Off Number One - L.A. Zoo Lights!

We knocked the first thing off of our list the night before Thanksgiving! And while Papa was here so it was extra fun. Another thing we've been planning on doing for years and then I forget and ticket prices are raised and I cannot justify the cost (early bird special runs through tomorrow!). While the animals are sleeping, The L.A. Zoo is turned into a fantastical land with lights, water shows, animated animals, etc. It's pretty amazing and zero photos do it justice, but I will try.

Gorgeous display outside.

It was about zero degrees so we had to bundle up! Okay, it was probably only 65 degrees but that is WAY cold for my tiny Anglenos. 

Probably my most favorite area!

Adorable zoo cartoon projected on the rocks with water fountains.

Playing with papa in the shadow box area!
Dasher, Dancer, and Comet were there guys!



I SUPER loved this recycled water frog song area. Even if I got mocked for it.

Disco Ball Forest with daddy!

And one with mommy.

This bridge, tunnel, lights area was unreal gorgeous!

Holidays with Papa! Something we don't get often.

#reallife
Thanks L.A. Zoo! See you next year!