Last week, John went on a work trip to Utah to hang out with Michael Phelps and Elton John (he was doing "real" work too) and it was way tricky for me. I mean, he was only gone for 4 days and 3 nights (thank you for not staying to ski babe!) but it seemed much longer. I thank my lucky stars that I have a husband who rarely has to go on work trips and who is extremely valuable and helpful when he is home. We love him for other reasons too, but after this week, I am extra thankful that he comes home at the end of the day when I am barely staying afloat.
8 Things That Happened When My Husband Was In Utah:
1. The friends I planned on bombarding and hanging out with all week were unavailable. One got pink eye and the other was in Ohio. God bless another friend who was able to play with us that first solo day.
2. No one slept. No one. My kids thought last week was an excellent week to go to bed extra late, wake up extra early, and take 10 minute car naps (CAR NAPS! - mom nightmare).
3. When my kids finally did go to bed, I didn't because I was panicked that a spider was going to find and murder us all. John found a black widow in his suitcase the night before he left (insert horror emoji).
4. More coffee was consumed than probably safe. Thank you John for making sure I had plenty of coffee and filters before you left!
5. I lost my keys at K's baseball practice and then had a panic attack because John was out of town, it was dark out, and I thought my keys would be lost on the field forever (they were finally found in my pocket thank goodness).
6. The Bachelor was ruined. I know, I know, who cares. John is usually in charge of getting the kids to sleep while I have a few minutes to watch trash TV. When he was gone, and I had to do bedtime, I missed Corrine getting eliminated (that girl was both crazy and hilarious!).
7. One million couch yogurt stains, crusty burnt noodles on the stove, and kid panty poo stains happened. Ain't nobody got time for cleaning that.
8. A single meal was cooked. I have more Happy Meal toys than I'd like to admit.
But...I kept the kids alive and for the most part, happy. Really, I have it good. Like I said, single moms who do this all the time are heroes.
Thank you John for making sure the girls' animals are positioned just right on their bed so I can watch Miss Abbey lose it, for cooking dinner the majority of the time so I don't burn it, killing deadly spiders before K decides it's her friend, and so much more! Next time I'm coming with you to see Sir Elton John kill it with "Benny and the Jets".
![]() |
| I started the week by taking K to the doctor. Great start. |
![]() |
| When she found out she wasn't getting shots this round. Instead anemia test - SO MUCH BLOOD and way worse. |
![]() |
| Supposed to be asleep. |
![]() |
| Another night they were supposed to be asleep. |
![]() |
| End of week attempting to stay afloat. |
![]() |
| Waiting for daddy (at the wrong baggage claim). |
![]() |
| Happy our main squeeze is home! |






