Wednesday, March 15, 2017

School Tours Are Over and I Am Feeling Lots of Feels

The time has come y'all! The end is near! Within the next couple of weeks, we will FINALLY know which school K will be attending in the fall.


noticed this sign the day we went on our first school tour last october.


It's been a long, exhausting road visiting school after school over the last 5 months. So many schools toured, so many applications turned in (over 500 applicants for Kindergarten alone at one school), but we...are...almost done.

Several school lotteries are already underway and we currently know our placement for a few of them. Without mentioning the schools names (*see why below), we are happy to announce that we got into one of our top schools! We are extremely far down on the wait list for the others. Once the lotteries are complete, and we are officially offered a spot(s) at these schools, we will have to make some serious decisions regarding which school is the best fit for us. There are so many things I am looking for in each school (see full list HERE) and not all of the schools visited, have everything. So, decisions will have to be made.

The school we "won" seems incredible! But guys, I am feeling a little bit of guilt that we were chosen. Out of several hundred applicants, we got in. And in some ways, it just seems unfair. There is nothing we did better than anyone else, as the lottery is picked at random and sometimes, quite literally, the student names are chosen out of a hat. But still, I feel guilty. There are some families I know of who desperately need to get into one of these "top" schools. Because the school they are zoned for, for lack of a better word, is terrible. Whereas the school we are zoned for, is considered a great hidden gem. And when I toured it, I was able to see why. But still, I feel guilty. But I shouldn't feel guilty right? Even we, I think, deserve the absolute best school for our child. Even if we decided to give up our spot, the family behind us may be in the same boat, zoned for another good school.

I haven't personally attended a public lottery yet (and I don't plan on it). But from what I have heard from other parents, it is an extremely emotional room with lots of tears from parents who so desperately want to get into a school that isn't considered a 2. 

And while I feel happy, and excited, and guilty, I fully believe that even a 2 has potential to be great. It's totally possible that "bad" schools have great teachers. Just like a great school may have "bad" teachers. There really is no definite way to know. But I believe, no matter where a student ends up, parent involvement is key.

I hope that over the next few weeks, we are able to find and choose the right school for K. I also hope and pray that all of the other parents who are going through this process, find the right school for their child. Already, they are touring, and applying, and involved in the process. Which like I said before, I think is important.

So friends, family, whoever else may be reading this post, please wish us, and every other parent out there, luck!


*The reason I am choosing not to mention school names is because I know there are parents who will say things like, "Why did you even apply to the school if yours is already good?", "We need this school more than you do.", etc. And I just cannot put my family through that. I have enough guilt as it is that I am trying to work through.