Sunday, June 4, 2017

Living In Sunshine - A Dance Recital Blog

And that's a wrap on Kenley's first dance recital! What an incredible and special day yesterday was for our family.




If you would have told me less than a year ago that my shy and sensitive kid, who hates being the center of attention, who gets scared when the "Happy Birthday Song" is sung to her, would step on stage in front of hundreds of strangers, and dance, I would have not believed you. Not one. single. bit. Heck, if you would have told me that 2 months ago, I still would have likely not believed you. My only hope for yesterday, was that she step on stage. That's it! Just go on! I didn't care if she cried, stood completely still in shock, or did her own dance. But you guys, not only did she go on stage, she smiled, waved, and did the dance! I mean who is this confident kid?! I cry happy tears as I write this.

Miss Kelsey, Miss Laurie, and all of Exceleration Studios' staff and volunteers, thank you. Thank you for your exceptional instruction, hard work, patience, encouragement, and most importantly, giving so many kids a safe space to grow. We feel blessed and lucky to have found you. I cannot imagine ever leaving.

When we walked into the theater for yesterday's show, "Living in Sunshine", I didn't really know what to expect. Would it be a hot mess? Would these dances be an embarrassment? I mean, I grew up dancing in Lake Tahoe's fanciest showrooms where so many of the world's best entertainers perform (not a brag, just that my expectations run high). But you guys, the show was amazing! These kids are world class and Los Angeles knows it. Even Cris Judd came to watch the show! 

Yesterday, one of my dreams came true. No, not to be a dance mom. No, not to have performer children. My dream was to have a child comfortable and confident, to do something she loves, dance. Thank you again Exceleration Studios. We cannot wait to dance again later this summer.

And now a million photos...


first time wearing makeup!

her favorite part was the lipstain.

recital ready!

dancing sisters. i hope one day they do a sister sister dance. and the costume eleanor is wearing was so generously on loan from miss laurie since eleanor was the saddest that her class was not in the recital.

lets do this!

sweet friends ready to dance.

our sugar sugar dancers!

and one with honorary eleanor who so desperately wants to dance with the big kids. her love for dance is a sight to be seen.

dance moms! i couldn't have asked for a better group of moms to spend every thursday with. 4 of my favorite ladies and a nose picking e.

almost showtime!

this kid was transfixed! for most of it. she's 2 and 3.5 hours is a long time.

ready! k far right. (pic from dress rehearsal)

so proud of this kiddo.

dance family.

audience after party. waiting to see if we won anything from the raffle. we did! a free summer dance session!

first bouquets! (of course we got e one too)

owner/director/founder/fearless leader miss laurie.

miss kelsey! i gave her full reign to scold my kid if she wasn't listening. she, of course, didn't because she is the sweetest and most patient teacher in the world.

all the mini girls! (one of our sweets couldn't be in the recital because she went to europe so we got the girls for an in costume rehearsal before she left)