Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I Took My City Kids on a Hike And..


On Monday, we went with some friends on a hike - my city kids' very first hike! I know, me being from Lake Tahoe it seems crazy to me as well.

We "hiked" up to the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. And I quote "hiked" because really you guys, all you have to do is walk up a staircase right next to the parking lot. I've had this on my bucket list for YEARS but haven't gone because the idea of hiking in the heat and getting lost (which so many do), is not something that sounded fun. But it's the easiest! 

The Old Zoo is really a hidden (but not that hidden) gem of Los Angeles. It was extra special because this is the zoo that John's mom visited when she was a child! It was closed in 1966 but the cages were never torn down so it's fun for kids to explore. Except for my kids, who were scared. There are tables for picnicking and trails to hike now. They also have special events there like the screening of horror films. Ya, no thanks. It's spooky enough during the day. As awesome as it is though, it's pretty sad seeing how small the cages are/were. Thank goodness they were moved.

Anyways, I was finally able to check something of my Los Angeles Bucket List! And for some crazy reason, I decided to wait until I had two tiny, clumsy (I say this lovingly) kids - one who I learned is crazy afraid of bugs and the other who can't even hike yet. No biggie about the non-hiker, I'll just strap her on my back! Except...I forgot the carrier so I had to literally carry my tiny one on my hip! Oh, and my kids wore Toms shoes - which although cute and comfy, have almost zero tread. City kids I tell ya!



Ready for her hike! She said it was necessary to have a backpack and sticks. I'm pretty sure she learned this on Dinosaur Train since she has NEVER hiked.

See, a set of stairs! That's all you have to do!

Cage/caves to explore.

Kenley refused to let me take a photo of her in front of one so I tried to get Eleanor to. She wasn't about it either. Real life.

Ready to get away from the cages and go on a REAL hike. Okay K, let's try!

Minnie Backpack and a stick! Not the most "hikey" backpack but it served it's purpose for her hike uniform!

Tiny explorers. Also, as my friend Sarah would say "The first scene in a horror film".

I cannot with this tiny hiker/explorer! Doing her best to keep up with the big kids! 
Took a break for water and snacks and this is where I learned K is deathly afraid of bugs. ALL bugs! "Get them away! They tickle!". The dramatics, you guys. (which some of you may have seen on my snapchat: totesmandy)




Although I learned my kid hates bugs, I think the girls' first hike was a success! No scrapes or bruises and we found the Old Zoo! If anyone wants to explore the outdoors some more, we're pretty much professionals at it...as long as we have a stick and Minnie Mouse backpack.