29 Things I Learned from My Mother:
1. The "Mom" Face - My mother rarely (maybe never?) yelled. But her "mom" face was on point! One look and I became an angel! Still working on that with my own girls.
2. Mother's Instinct - Shortly after having Kenley, looking clueless and nervous about caring for another human being, my mother told me to trust my instinct, that no one knows my kid like I do, and that God made me Kenley's mother for a reason. I hold onto that advice every day.
3. Braid - My kids may not let me braid their hair but...I can!
4. Thread a Needle - I can barely stitch together a headband but..I can thread a needle.
5. Marry a Cook - My mom is an amazing cook. But, she forgot to teach me how to cook. So unintentionally, she taught me to marry someone who can!
6. Grate Cheese - I can't cook but it was always my job growing up to grate the cheese.
7. Sign Your Kid Up (without them knowing) - My mom signed me up for a pageant, WITHOUT my knowledge, when I was a senior in High School. I ended up being crowned Miss Lake Tahoe 2001. My days as Miss Lake Tahoe were filled with some of the most amazing experiences with the most amazing people. My mom knew what she was doing.
8. Scrapbook - I'm basically Martha Stewart when it comes to scrapbooking. Got it from my mama. If only my kids gave me time to do it.
9. Don't Stress Daddy - I only missed my curfew once. I was out with my boyfriend on a stormy night and got caught in the snow (I swear! *wink*). I came home and my mom was sitting in the front room, furious. But guess what?! My dad was having heart surgery the next day and she didn't want to give him something extra to stress about so... no grounding for me!
10. Money Doesn't Buy Happiness - It wasn't until I was older that I realized we didn't have a lot growing up. We were always so happy and went on cheap vacations. I NEVER felt like I was missing out!
11. Always Send Thank You Cards - The day after Christmas was thank you card writing day.
12. Stock Up on Cards/Gifts - My mom had a basket of cards and gifts ready at a moments notice when it was someones birthday.
13. Clap on Beat - My mom was always the funniest/most embarrassing at church. She would clap louder than anyone to make sure they were on beat with her. I get my rhythm from her.
14. Grammar - My blog doesn't always reflect it, but I know my "there", "their", and "they're"! My mom is grammar queen.
15. Make Time for Friends - My parents had their own "crew" as adults that would get together almost every weekend for games, movies, alcohol, etc. They called their group "Balderdash" and kids were always invited. Just because I have kids, doesn't mean I can't have friends.
16. Wear Heels (even if you're taller than your husband) - My mom and I are both tall. But that never stopped her from wearing a fancy purple leather 80's pump!
17. Gift Wrapping - When I'm not in a rush (so almost never) I'm a great gift wrapper. I've been hired under the table more than a few times.
18. Wear Sunscreen/Pale is Beautiful - I don't tan, ever. Neither does my mom. We're pale as powder... like porcelain dolls!
19. Margaritas and Rum & Coke - I'm really good at making alcoholic beverages because of my mom (and her friends). They taught me when I was about 8 years old (parenting win). Three fingers full of rum, the rest with coke!
20. Never Enough Christmas Tree Decorations - Growing up we had 4 themed trees we would rotate thru - the "pretty" one (pink/white), the "purple" one (purple, duh), the "traditional" one (red/gold), and the "manly" one (mostly camping items).
21. Support Kids' Boy Band Obsession - My mom drove my best friend (Nicole J.) and I 500 miles to see one of our favorite boy bands, The Standards (a Mormon a capella boy band - cool right?). We were 17 years old and she "partied" right along with us. She also drove us to our first concert at 14 years old to see 'NSYNC!
22. Thanksgiving Centerpieces - I'm crafty because of my mom. Every Thanksgiving she would take my cousins and I out into the woods to collect items for centerpieces.
23. Never too Late to Learn - My mom didn't go to college until she was in her 40's. It's never too late!
24. Let Kids be Bored - My mom didn't entertain me all day. If I got bored, I had to find something to do. I would go outside and play in the mud, build myself a tree fort, pee on rocks, play in tar, etc.
25. Stock up on Girl Scout Cookies - Why can you only purchase Girl Scout Cookies once a year?! Our freezer was always stocked. Thin Mints all year long!
26. Hide Your Chocolate from Your Kids - My mom hid chocolate in her nightstand and in drawers at her office. I hide mine in my pj drawer.
27. Have Fun with Appearance - Just because I'm a mom, doesn't mean I have to be boring with my appearance. My mom wore acid wash jeans and died her hair purple! PURPLE! Also, a Christmas brooch goes a long way.
28. Be Your Kids' Biggest Fan - My mom was consistently seen on the sidelines at my soccer games air kicking the ball as if SHE was on the field.
29. Unconditional Love - I've screwed up MANY times in my life, been mean to my mom, taken her for granted, etc. but at the end of the day (watching Gilmore Girls in our pjs), I always knew I was loved.
![]() |
| Baby me! Or...baby Eleanor? |
![]() |
| Ponytail twins and my first dog, Shadow. |
![]() |
| With Great Grandma Mac. Cool shall ma! |
![]() |
| Pacific beaching. |
![]() |
| Humid south. |
![]() |
| Homecoming '00. The theme was something like "Studio 54". Tahoe keeping it classy. |
![]() |
| Lauralie to my Rory. |
![]() |
| Standards Concert! I had to drive HER home. |
![]() |
| UNR Graduation. |
![]() |
| Walk to Heart Rock in Crestline, CA |
![]() |
| Alcohol. |
![]() |
| More alcohol. |
![]() |
| Again, alcohol. |
![]() |
| Pale sisters. |
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM!














