Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Things I Look For When Touring Elementary Schools vs. What My 4 Year Old Looks For

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, it's almost time for Kenley to start Kindergarten! Noooooooo! I have all sorts of mixed feelings about it. While it's exciting, it's also the saddest and most stressful. How are we already here?

As I hold onto her a little tighter over the next 7 months, I have to start school prep now. Actually, I had to start prepping in October when school tours started (eek!). Thank goodness for Los Angeles moms who have been through it already, otherwise I would have had zero idea I had to apply for one million schools (we are actually only looking at 10). 

And while most schools prefer you don't bring children, my kids have had the oppurtunity to tour a few with me. We, however, are looking for different things as we tour these potential schools.




Things I Look For When Touring Elementary Schools 
vs. 
What My 4 Year Old Looks For


What Mommy Looks For:

1. Mission Statement and School Philosophy

2. PBL (Project Based Learning) vs. other teaching methods

3. Amount of Homework

4. Amount of Testing or if mandatory

5. Enrichment classes (dance, theatre, art, pe, robotics, coding, archery, etc.)

6. Language courses offered and which language(s)

7. After School and Before school care and it's cost

8. Commute time (current favorite school could be up to 1.5 hours in our horrendous L.A. traffic)

9. Teacher/Kid ratio

10. Inclusive Education 

11. Special needs or gifted programs available

12. PTA and Parent Involvement 

13. Technology - Macs or PCs, how many days in the week are they in the lab

14. Overall classroom appearance

15. Garden crops and Farm animals

16. Campus Safety

`7. The other parents on the tour - do I want to hang out with them for the next 6+ years?

18. Principal's attitude and enthusiasm

19. Diversity

20. How much outside playtime

21. Lottery program available


What Kenley Looks For:

1.Playground Awesomeness


Hopefully we'll find/get into a school that not only reaches all of Mommy and K's requirements, but also a school that is a good fit for our family. 

Note: We do have a designated home school we are zoned for, but I still want to make sure I find the perfect one for us.