Wednesday, February 1, 2017

11 Realistic Things Moms do for "Me Time"

In an ideal world, I'd go to the spa weekly. I'd get a deep tissue massage, I'd get wrapped in seaweed, I'd take a bath in mud, I'd have leeches eat the dead skin off of my feet, I'd get a deep pore facial, I'd get a fancy mani/pedi, I'd get a spray tan, and then I'd lay by the pool and read Lauren Graham's latest book "Talking as Fast as I Can" while sipping on a margarita. 

But...that isn't possible because you know, time and money. So I've created a list of realistic things I (and most moms) do for "Me Time".


11 Realistic Things Moms do for "Me Time"

1. Target - I think most moms can agree when I say going to Target alone is the most magical. I'll take a Vanilla Soy Latte please while I roam every aisle, thank you.

2. Not Grocery Shop - Recently, I sent my husband to the grocery store with the kids and it was amazing. I let him deal with Eleanor throwing a tantrum in the frozen food aisle in front of Tom Green while I watched "Fuller House" on Netflix. 

3. Bathe - Why are baths (and showers) the best? We have a pretty standard bathtub (that desperately needs to be re-grouted), but if I pour in some bubbles, turn on Adele, and close my eyes, I can almost drown out the sounds of my kids fighting over Princess Elena's royal scepter. And if they aren't fighting, I might even shave!

4. Style Hair - There's a reason 9/10 moms on the playground sport the famous "Mom Bun". 'Cause with small kids, moms have approximately 2 minutes to "style" their hair. Straighten? Ha! There is barely enough time to dry it. 

5. Wear Makeup - Another thing moms have 2 minutes to do is put on makeup. What I'd give for 5 minutes to put on more than just mascara. 

6. Go to the Gynecologist - For reals though. I get to read Us Weekly while I wait and the receptionists give me candy afterwards. The exam itself is no fun but, sacrifices. 

7. Hospital Stay - A friend of mine last month was admitted to the hospital for abdominal pains (don't worry, she's okay), and we were semi-joking what a treat that was! She got to lay in bed, eat jello, and watch TV! And she got to pick something that wasn't Daniel Tiger or PJ Masks!

8. Potty Solo - "Mommy, do you want some privacy" = "Mommy, we're going to shut the door, but we're going to come in with you". Then they ask me if my poop hurts, want to see the color of my pee, and ask me if they can help me wipe.

9. Drive - Driving, driving anywhere, without the Trolls soundtrack blasting while they squirt applesauce all over their leotards would be nice. I'd trade out Trolls for Jason Derulo. Have I ever talked about my love for Jason Derulo? I love him.

10. Cook - I actually love cooking with my kids. They super love to help. But helping means skipping a million steps and having them fight over who gets to crack the one egg needed for the recipe. If I got to cook alone, I'd make something other than noodles.

11. Dishes - My husband is in charge of bath time here. And while he sings Frozen songs with them in the tub (it's seriously the cutest), I wash crusty ketchup off of rainbow colored IKEA kid plates. For reals, I love this time. Then my youngest comes running in naked screaming "I'm Batman!"


I love my kids, a super lot. And I know I'm going to miss the days when they helped me potty. But every now and again, moms need "Me time". Just to stay semi-sane.

Note: Remember when driving what just driving? And going potty what just going potty? Before these silly things were considered "Mom Time".

Me, alone, in the elevator on my way to my doctor's appointment.