Happy (late) Groundhog Day! Looks like we are getting 6 more weeks of winter!
Does anyone remember the 1993 hit movie (a hit according to me) "Groundhog Day"? You know, the one where Bill Murray's character had to re-live Groundhog Day over and over (stepping in puddles, taking cold showers, meeting an annoying old schoolmate) for 30-40 years (according to the director)? Can you even imagine?!
Last week I was thinking about what day I would be okay with re-living for that long. Perhaps my wedding day, the kids' births, trip to Idaho to see The Standards, Miss Lake Tahoe, etc. I've decided on December 23, 2009 - a day that would change my life forever, for the better.
December 23, 2009 - My Engagement Day Story
The day stared with me waking up in my childhood home in Lake Tahoe and getting a makeup tutorial before heading to John's childhood home in Fallon, NV. While I was learning how to do makeup without looking like I was stage ready, I was thinking, "If John doesn't propose today, will he ever? My makeup looks GOOD!"
I made a pitstop in Carson City to meet up with my friend Christian for some Keva Juice. Oh my goodness, I miss Keva so much! Reno/Carson friends, go have one for me will ya? And figure out a way to mail one to Los Angeles.
 |
| Christian: "Let's take a 'John Monson' photo." - aka laugh during the photo |
 |
| Jump for Keva! |
It was midday when I got to Fallon and John, his sister and I headed for John's favorite pizza joint, Pizza Barn. Big, HUGE mistake. I got major food poisoning (we think from the salad bar's cottage cheese). But before I felt like my insides were going to come out of my mouth, my friend Brad texted me the following, "Dashing through the snow, on a South Lake Tahoe Drive, John pulled out a ring, it sparkled through the night, got down on one knee, it fit just like a glove, Mandy answered yes and said a wedding filled with love". He stands firm saying he had no idea John was going to propose that day.
 |
| Only pizza is safe to eat here. I think. |
 |
| Reading my text from Brad. |
After lunch, we ran to the store to get something for my tummy and headed back to John's house. John and I put on some poor man's snow boots and went for a snowy walk. I kept thinking, "Is he going to propose to me in these awesome bags on my feet next to these stinky cows? Oh golly, I hope so". Alas, he did not, and I decided it was time for me to head back to Tahoe. That was until his sister insisted we take some photos by the barn first.
 |
| Poor man's snow boots. Anyone else do this growing up? |
 |
| I have really cool bags on my shoes, propose already! |
The rest is a little bit of a blur...
After taking a few photos, John gave me a Ring Pop (an ongoing joke because I would prefer candy over anything, including diamonds). Inside the Ring Pop package was my actual engagement ring (I got the candy later)! Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. While looking down at the love of my life and feeling like I was going to throw up all over him because um, food poisoning and utter shock, I responded with "You're joking. No, you're not. No you are not. I cannot even look at you, I am going to vomit. Yes." I'm so romantic guys. I later found out he was originally going to propose to me at the theater where we had our first date. But he had to scratch that when I got sick and he was not letting me head back to Tahoe where my family was expecting me to return engaged (because that's what he told them would be happening).
 |
| Pre-proposal photo. |
 |
| Proposal. And trying not to regurgitate my insides. |
We took a few more photos and then I headed back to Tahoe and called every human I knew.
I would re-live this day for a hundred more years. With one change, not eating the warm cottage cheese that made me sick. Or maybe I would?
Happy (late) Groundhog Day to you all! But mostly to the man of my dreams!
 |
| <3 |